AirWatch includes safeguards to prevent the removal of production versions of AirWatch proprietary applications when you remove the test versions from the console. Add and remove the test version by following a specific task order.
Definition of Proprietary, Non-Store, AirWatch Applications
A proprietary, non-store, AirWatch application, like Secure Launcher, is seeded or included in the AirWatch instance. It is part of the AirWatch Installer and you deploy it to devices with a profile or with other settings in the console. Some enterprises want to test versions of these applications before they deploy them to production.
Separate Testing AirWatch Console Instance and Test Groups
If possible, test applications in a separate environment with a testing instance of the AirWatch Console.
AirWatch uses the application ID to identify the test version of the proprietary application.
Application Removal Commands
Remove the test version before you retire or delete the application. If you skip this step, AirWatch does not queue application removal commands for these test applications.
Add Process of Test Applications
Add a test version of a proprietary AirWatch application with these steps.
- Use a test instance of the AirWatch Console.
- Create a group of devices on which to deploy the test application in their own organization group.
- Upload the test application to the Internal tab of Apps & Books, enter information you want, and select Save & Assign.
Assign the application to the test group with the Add Assignment option.
The App Delivery Method for seeded applications is On Demand and is not configurable.
You can also edit the application, select the Devices tab, and select the Install On All option.
Removal Process of Test Applications
Remove a test version of a proprietary AirWatch application with these steps.
- Go to the Internal tab in Apps & Books and edit the application.
- On the Devices tab, select the Remove From All option.
- Go to the Details View of the application on the Internal tab of Apps & Books and delete or retire the application from the actions menu.
For information on the deployment of internal applications, see Internal Applications Overview.